The Man is six months old now, so we are beginning the adventure into food that doesn't come directly out of my body. We are approaching this casually since Mr. 20 lbs clearly doesn't need nutritional supplementation. This is more about introducing him to the sensory experience of eating. So far, he is unimpressed:
Banana: nonplussed. Ate a few bites, then refused.
Water: likes it. Has taken it pipette-style from a drinking straw, as well as straight from the glass.
Sweet potatoes with cinnamon and curry: No thanks. A mom friend made this -- her son is a little more "culinarily advanced." I tasted it, and even I thought it was a little spicy.
Garbanzo: Not into it. It was just a bit off my plate, smooshed between my fingers. I think it was just way too chunky.
Swiss chard with garbanzos and spring onions: Good lord, no. This was my first attempt at "Let's just blend what we're eating for the baby!" It was unseasoned, of course, but still too fancy at this point I think. After 2 bites, he was arching his back and attempting to physically escape the Bumbo. The good news is I just put it back in the pan with our dinner and made a deliciously creamy vegan sauce.
So basically, we've added "Water" to his repertoire. Well, I guess you've got to start somewhere. Who can blame the guy when breast milk is so yummy and way more snuggly to eat? But I know that he's ready to branch out because he is really interested in what the rest of us are eating.
Oh, and here's the kicker: he won't take a bottle anymore. Either he's forgotten what it's for or he's just a breast snob now, but since we never bottle feed him at home, his sitters are encountering a livid, screaming baby. They have gotten him to take my pumped milk from a cup, however, so maybe we're off bottles and on to sippy cups now.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My brother was the same way. He went from the boob to a cup. would NEVER take a bottle. THe first day at the sitter's she squirted the milk into his mouth while he was screaming! ;-)
ReplyDeleteGareth liked banana, but you have to start with tiny amounts. He may have liked it fine but didn't want too much. I was actually surprised at how little you start them with— a teaspoon or so is considered successful. G. didn't like garbanzo either. Avocado went over well. I also blended bell peppers from frozen (Trader Joe's) and he liked that.
ReplyDeleteFor the emergency travel stash, may I suggest Dr. Susanna's World Baby Food? It's got flavors such as Baby Borscht and Baby Dahl, and they even smell appetizing to adults.
maybe he is a wild & succulent baby who eats mangos?
ReplyDeleteTry the sweet potatoes without the spice. Tim was the only child I ever met who didn't like that. Also I know it goes against all "good mama" instincts, but sweet is more palatable so at the risk of sounding like Grandma Larson (shudder) try ice cream. Mangoes would be an excellent choice. Carrots are sweet. He might like shredded apple. He has some teeth so he might like to self feed very soft cooked green beans (baby Tim's favorite) or very soft cooked carrot spears. And I know he doesn't need it, but baby cereal with breast milk can be new, yet familiar, at the same time.
ReplyDeleteGood luck.
P.S. I like the way you catagorize these as "learning curve."
Ada hated the bottle and went straight to the cup (when the breast wasn't available). She'd rather starve to death than drink out of a bottle. My kids liked orange veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots) as well as melons (watermelon is easy to eat and tasty) and avocados. Good luck! Every baby is different and they say it can take up to 10 times of introducing a single food before you know for sure your baby likes/doesn't like it. Also, their tastes change (Zanon won't touch avocados right now).
ReplyDelete