Friday, March 26, 2010

The Morning Nap

It's 11am, and Dylan is asleep in his crib. This is the third time this week that I've been able to put him down in the crib in the middle of the day and get him to go to sleep. He protests, to be sure, but he's asleep within 20 minutes. I can tell when he's getting tired -- usually when he starts to fuss and I know it isn't his diaper or hunger. It used to be the only thing that would calm him in that situation was his swing. (He LOVES the swing.) I'm really excited about this development, because it's better for his development to sleep lying down, and its far more practical, since he needs to learn to sleep without the swing.

We use the crib only for daytime naps right now, or if we can get him to go down for a first stint of sleep early in the evening. At night, he's in the bedroom with us. This is really important to me. It's more convenient for nighttime feeding, but I also like the idea of a family bed at night for such a small guy. It's good for attachment, and will help him feel secure. We're running into a snag, though. We've been using the bassinet insert for the pack 'n play as a cosleeper, and we just realized this week that he technically passed the weight limit 3 lbs ago. Whoops! Chris is talking about building something for next to the bed that we can put him in for a few more months. I feel like he's still too little to be in the actual bed with us all night long. I often move him into our bed after his early morning feeding, but I'm usually just dozing at that point.

Well, it's 25 minutes later, and he's up. Not too shabby. We're going downtown to meet Chris for lunch in an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment