Thursday, March 25, 2010

I heart breastfeeding


I really do. The cynical side of me says it's just the oxytocin talking, but hormone rush or not, I just love it. It's so snuggly and it makes him so happy, which makes me happy.

I feel like being able to connect with Dylan in this way is really helpful in my process of healing from our birth experience. It feels so good to know that we're doing this natural, wonderful thing for him. After feeling like a little bit of a failure as woman for having to get a c-section, it is truly affirming to my womanhood that I can breastfeed my child.

Not breastfeeding was not an option for me. I am so grateful to the wonderful nurses that started pumping me right away after birth, before I was lucid enough to figure out why. And being able to pump breast milk and send it down to the NICU was the one thing I could do that made me feel like a had a little bit of control in the hospital. As soon as I realized they were feeding him formula, something in me galvanized and I started pumping every 3 hours. As it turns out, I am a prolific producer, and even the nurses were amazed that I was sending down 3 ounces or more that often. And I would go down to the NICU as often as I could to breastfeed him, just to let him practice sucking for a while, even if we had to bottle feed him my milk afterwards.

When we got home, breastfeeding proved to be incredibly painful, and he still had trouble latching on. Turns out a tight frenulum was to blame, so we decided to have it snipped. I had another epiphany moment as a mom as I held his arms down snug so the doctor could perform the procedure. It was so hard to hold him down and subject him to such pain, but I knew that he needed me to be strong and there for him in that moment, because I am his mom, and no one else can be that for him. Of course, he barely cried at all, and when we nursed afterwards, he had an easier time right away.

Now, breastfeeding is a breeze. It's only mildly uncomfortable at times, and he can latch on without my help from nearly any angle. I've even fed him while walking around the house, carrying him in the Moby wrap! And while the time will come when he needs to self-soothe at bedtime, right now I am more than happy to nurse him to sleep every night.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. We just finished up breastfeeding at my house. Liam and I agreed that we'd be done when he turned 4, and he's only asked about it twice since his birthday (we talked about it for months in advance) and he seems okay when I remind him that we were done when he turned 4. I never thought I'd breastfeed for as long as I did (in the end, he was only nursing once or twice a week), but I don't regret it for a moment. It was always a lovely way for him and I to reconnect when we'd been apart, and it was a really important bonding time for us. I wish you all the best with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love breastfeeding, too. And it seems David does more than I do as he asks for it alllll the time at 20 months of age.

    We also had a frenulum problem, and we were all set to have it snipped, but they told us it was muscular in nature and couldn't do it. So we muddled through, and he grew, and it got easier.

    Remember to tell this to his wife someday, as it can be genetic (my Chris has a shortened frenulum).

    GO Boobs!

    ReplyDelete